Thursday, March 12, 2009

Paper Clay WIPs and a Creepy old House

Well here they are, the infants of my dive into paper clay. The picture below is my first ever paper clay piece. It's just an ornament, but I wanted to start small.

The egg on the below piece is made of paper clay, while the rest is made of polymer. He'll probably show up on etsy some time after the honeymoon.

Now on to the house. We live in Nacogdoches, TX, the home of quite a few beautiful Victorian homes. We have several streets lined with the old mansions. A couple of days ago, Steph and I were driving along, and I spotted this one out of the corner of my eye. It should be considered a crime to let a house like this get into this shape.
Don't get me wrong though, I think that the abandonment and decay add a strange beauty to the place. Call me crazy, but I wish it could be preserved to remain in this condition. Unfortunately, it has been condemned and scheduled for demolition. Such an amazing waste.


Also, I want to thank you all for you kind comments regarding our wedding. I treasure my friendship to each and every one of you!

I'll be back on the 20th or so, ready to share pics from the wedding and honeymoon, so be sure to drop in!!

9 comments:

Zan Asha said...

Good for you on the paper clay--they look great!

I love old houses like this too, and it is really a shame that more isn't done about the historic old ones...

Chicken Lips said...

Beautiful house! What a shame it's so neglected. Great work on the ornaments - how do you like the Paperclay. Looking forward to the wedding photos.

~dani~ said...

Wow..has my head been in my azz! I cannot believe you and Steph are getting married in days!! I wondered why your draft pages were blank and now I know why. I am so happy for you two. Did you make your wedding cake topper? lol.

Hugs and kisses to you both. Enjoy your honeymoon and take gobs of pics!

Flora said...

My husband is from upstate new york and there are many beautiful "painted ladies" , none of which were ever seen in this condition, so very sad!!
On a lighter note I wish you all the best on your upcoming nuptials
Congratulations to you and yours!!!
Many Blessings,
Flora

HowlingMoonDesigns said...

Can't wait to hear how you liked working with the paperclay, can't wait to see pictures of the Wedding!
Beautiful old house, would love to see inside :)...
Hugs to you & Steph..Have a Wonderful Wedding & Honeymoon!
Candy

yoborobo said...

When I see houses like that, I always wish I could bring them back. Sad that it's going to be destroyed.

On a much happier note - Congratulations on your wedding! Have a wonderful time on your honeymoon. :)

Janell Berryman Pumpkinseeds folk art said...

Excited to see pics of your wedding day :)
Love that house...very sad they have to demolish it. Guess it will cost more to repair than its worth? Darn economy.
Love the peeks of the paper clay. Curious how you liked it.
Enjoy yourselves on your honeymoon!! (is that a big duh???) :)

Lisa Gatz said...

so you're just starting with paperclay? What were you using before? Your work looked so smooth that I thought that's what you used.

My wedding wish for you is that your friendship and love will grow deeper each year as you walk this life together.

Hugs,
Lisa

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

Congratulations on your marriage Lance! This was once a very grand house that probably had great memories for the families that lived there. Very sad it is condemned.

I gave you a blog award so when you have time stop by!!
Laurie